The Transatlantic Security Jam: Securing a Post COVID-19 future (12-14 May 2020)
Between 12-14 May 2020, the NATO Defense College (NDC) co-hosted the Transatlantic Security Jam. The Jam is a 50-hour on-line live event and brainstorming exercise, hosted by IBM.
The overarching theme for 2020 was the impact of COVID-19 on the international security environment. The NDC Research Division led the Forum on “NATO Mission and Core Tasks in Action: Resilience, readiness and responsiveness”. The Jam was opened by Supreme Allied Commander Europe General Tod D. Wolters.
Throughout the event, NDC Researchers and Fellows facilitated the debates in successive sessions, and hosted the following guests:
- Mr Juri Luik, Minister of Defence of Estonia;
- Mr Patrick Turner, NATO Assistant Secretary General for Defence Policy and Planning;
- Mrs Rose Gottemoeller, former NATO Deputy Secretary General;
- Vice-Admiral Henrique Gouveia e Melo, Deputy Chief of the Defence Staff of Portugal;
- Prof Julian Lindley-French, Director of the Alphen Institute;
- Mr Sven Sakkov, Director of the International Centre for Defence and Security (Estonia);
- Mr Stanley Sloan, Senior Fellow, Atlantic Council;
- Mr Ian Brzezinski, Former Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Europe and NATO Policy.
LGEN Chris Whitecross, Commandant of the NDC, delivered concluding remarks on behalf of the NDC.