4th Edition of the Early-Career Nuclear Strategists’ Workshop
6-8 July 2022
Call for Applications
The NATO Defense College (NDC), in cooperation with NATO’s Nuclear Policy Directorate, is opening a Call for Applications for its fourth edition of the Early-Career Nuclear Strategists Workshop (ECNSW), which will take place from 6 to 8 July 2022 in Rome.
The workshop aims to:
- Promote awareness and expertise on nuclear issues and deterrence among the younger generation of scholars
- Feature the research of young scholars on nuclear issues and deterrence
- Facilitate dialogue between the academic and policy-making worlds
- Establish a network of scholars and policy-makers working on nuclear issues and deterrence.
The workshop will:
- Enable participants to present their own research
- Provide a technical introduction to nuclear weapons (from the physics of nuclear explosion to sensing and counter-sensing technologies)
- Combine lectures by senior scholars on major nuclear topics (i.e. nuclear doctrine, strategy, arms control or non-proliferation) and presentations by early-career scholars
- Role-play a nuclear-related crisis simulation.
- The NDC Research Division will publish the best papers presented at the workshop.
Applicants must be nationals of a NATO country.
Applicants can apply for one of the three categories of participants:
- Early-Career Scholars presenting their research
- Participants (non-presenting their work)
- Government officials
Government officials/military officers (no age limit) working in a relevant area can apply by sending a one-page CV and a cover letter to email@example.com by May 27, 2022.
Junior scholars below the age of 35 and who hold a MA degree, are PhD candidates, or hold a PhD in a relevant discipline, can apply by sending a draft paper of 2,000-2,500 words that, if selected, will be presented at the Workshop and published by the NDC; together with a one-page CV and a cover letter.
The draft paper must be analytical and deal with nuclear- or deterrence-related issues, such as nuclear strategy, nuclear deterrence, arms control, proliferation, WMD.
All documents must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 27, 2022.
Students, researchers and scholars below the age of 35, who are interested in participating, physically or remotely, can apply by sending a one-page CV and a cover letter to email@example.com by May 27, 2022.
NB. Participants to previous online editions are eligible to apply.
The NATO Defense College will cover travel and accommodation costs for junior scholars presenting their papers.